Friday, December 26, 2003

Greetings from sunny (today) southern California

I'm writing from the southlands this week, and haven't got much to report. Many fine people have gathered for a nephew's wedding, so there is much celebrating and much work, since I'm staying with the mother of the groom.

I'm making progress on Postrel's book. She has useful things to say about how communities large and small can set design boundaries on both the members and upon the groups as a whole. She sees smaller units and more or less voluntary participation as a way to prevent situations where (irony alert) the design police arrest people for painting their houses the wrong color (end irony). I think her argument is persuasive within its purview, but she still hasn't addressed my question about design and Truth, which may be a subject of interest only among Orthodox Christians. We'll see. I will probably finish the book before addressing it.

In the meantime, I'm on phonetime here, so I'll sign off till later.

No comments: