Saturday, January 17, 2004

Trademark police


Adobe's lawyers hold a sheaf of papers against a cracking dam in this page listing the "Thou Shalt Nots" of Adobe Photoshop: Adobe Systems Incorporated Terms of Use

My favorite, which sums up the entire page is this one:
Trademarks must never be used as slang terms.
CORRECT: Those who use Adobe? Photoshop? software to manipulate images as a hobby see their work as an art form. [Those "?"s are registered trademark signs, which I don't even know how to make, cross-platform.]
INCORRECT: A photoshopper sees his hobby as an art form.
INCORRECT: My hobby is photoshopping.


To Adobe?, I say, lots of luck. Your product has not only entered the world of commerce; it has entered the world of culture. When we go shopping (may I say "shopping"?) for the top of the line in image-manipulation software, we go to Adobe? Photoshop?, at least partly because when we hear professionals talking shop (is this OK?) about their trade, they say "photoshop" as a verb. People hear that a lot more than they'll read your attorneys' website.

Truthfully, I don't have a lot of sympathy. Duly noted that it annoys you, but if you listen in on my conversation, you may hear the dreaded slang verb.

It captures the essence of the thought better than your alternatives do. (And I don't know how to make the registered trademark sign in conversation either.)

No comments: