Monday, June 14, 2004

It's not just the Islamists who think Americans are Satanic

Apparently, the Greeks do, too.

I knew about the Greeks' disaffection for America, but Mike Epitropoulos, a scholar at the University of Pittsburgh, writes that the disfavor goes beyond the Muslim immigrants and holdover communists. The Orthodox Church wrote a prayer to protect Greece from Western (especially American) tourists:
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on the cities, the islands and the villages of this Orthodox Fatherland, as well as the Holy monasteries which are scourged by the worldly touristic wave.

I guess I'll delete Greece from my list of places I'd like to visit, sadly. I'd hate to be part of the "worldly touristic wave" inflicted on that unfortunate country.

Epitropoulos's piece is long and worth reading. I was particularly interested in the complicated relationship between Greek-Americans and their anti-American brethren back home.

Anyway, I just sent in my Onion Dome piece last evening, and if anyone wonders where I get such weird ideas, they're "ripped from the headlines."

No comments: