Thursday, February 17, 2005

You have just stepped into . . .

. . . the Twilight Zone.

So I was at class the other night, and we finished our speed drills about 6:45 or so, and I went to the break room for a cup of tea and came back and started writing sentences, and all of a sudden I felt bad. Headache, upset stomach, chills, malaise. Was I coming down with the flu? Food poisoning? SARS? The effects of skipping dinner? I ended up leaving early.

At home, my daughter was upset after talking to her sister's husband. Troubling news, great sorrow. We talked together, and I went to sleep to strange dreams and woke feeling only a little better. But it was the next day, and I had work to do, so I did it.

This morning I asked younger daughter about what time she'd heard from older daughter's husband. She said it was between 7 and 7:30 p.m. She'd been crying and tried to call me, but my phone was on silent during class.

I'm skeptical about ESP, not because I don't believe it happens, but because I don't believe it happens to me. But one of the truths in the novel Life of Pi is that sometimes several stories will fit the events, and in that case you have to pick one.

No comments: