Thursday, December 18, 2003

Satire



OK, what I need to do here is go back to Rollo May's advice. I've been beating my head crazy trying to come up with a couple of submissions for The Onion Dome. I have some ideas, but they don't seem funny. Or looking into them a little closer, they don't seem true and funny at the same time. Now why again did I think I could write satire?

The key to it is to put disparate things together (which is humor). And at least one of the disparate things must be topical or or somehow current. And it must puncture a pomposity or a platitude, which is why if no one gets offended you know you're not doing it right.

Anyway, I've beaten my head against this wall for long enough now. I'm going to forget about it and see what the old unconscious dredges up.

No comments: