Monday, March 15, 2004

But at least he spelled your name right

It's probably evidence of my bad character that this amuses me so (or maybe it's the photo). "Deborah Schoeneman reports that Richard Ford spat on Colson Whitehead (The Intuitionist) at a Poets & Writers party, having nursed a grudge for two years over Whitehead's negative New York Times review of A Multitude of Sins."

Author Ford explained to Powell's that the problem was that "apparently somebody [Colson Whitehead] took me to task for the very thing I want to do.... To make all the words count, and to put the words in the right order. . . . I want to be interesting because all the words are in the order that I think make sense to the reader. And at the same time not sacrifice complexity, not sacrifice good sense, not sacrifice felicity, not sacrifice intelligence. "

Those critics. They really hate it when you get the words in the right order.

No comments: