Saturday, June 18, 2005

It's not the misunderstanding he regrets

Sen. Dick Durbin offered a kinda sorta not-really apology.

Here's his statement.
More than 1700 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq and our country’s standing in the world community has been badly damaged by the prison abuses at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. My statement in the Senate was critical of the policies of this Administration which add to the risk our soldiers face.

I will continue to speak out when I disagree with this Administration.

I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support.

The first two paragraphs are the "I didn't do anything wrong" part; the last one is the "I'm sorry if you misunderstood me" and "the soldiers were just following orders" -- does that mean he'd have accepted that defense at Nuremburg?

The real problem for Sen. Durbin is that everyone understood exactly what he was saying. The problem for our troops and the war on terror as a whole is that Al Jazeera understood him, too. Let's hope the voters back home understood and remember in 2008.

No comments: