Thursday, April 21, 2005

What does this gesture mean?

Can anyone tell me what this gesture means? It looks like he's trying to remove the front spigot cover from a fire hydrant, or maybe he's adjusting the horizontal and vertical hold knobs on an old television set.

I'm sure that both topics are far from the matter at hand, and I've seen the gesture before in lecturers making earnest pronouncements, but I never thought at the time about the meaning of the gesture. I'm sure it's clear in context, but the news story gives only the general context, and the photo caption doesn't say, "Bishop So-and-So gestures as he describes the difficulty of getting balance and fade adjusted after his teen-agers give back the car."

Just wondering.

No comments: