Friday, July 08, 2005

Anybody Working on a Psycho-Thriller?

Joseph Edward Duncan III, accused of killing a woman, her boyfriend, her 13-year-old son, and taking her 9-year-old Dylan Groene and 8-year-old Shasta Groene captive, kept a blog.

For months he recorded his trials and tribulations with demons, reporters and parole officers at Blogging The Fifth Nail.

In the last post, he talks about his sensitivity--
I have feelings, in fact I think I must be more sensitive than most people because I seem to feel more than they do, at least more than what they openly express. I feel for the starving children and families in the world, others say, "Oh, that's too bad, but I can't do anything so..."

I wish I could be more honest about my feelings, but those demons made sure I'd never be able to do that. I might not know if it matters, but just in case, I am working on an encrypted journal that is hundreds of times more frank than this blog could ever be (that's why I keep it encrypted). I figure in 30 years or more we will have the technology to easily crack the encryption (currently very un-crackable, PGP) and then the world will know who I really was, and what I really did, and what I really thought. Also, maybe then they will understand that despite my actions, I'm not a bad person, I just have a disease contracted from society, and it hurts a lot.

--while other sensitive commenters tell him to collect his life and move on:
You are scared and sound like depressed. YOU have been thru a lot your whole life, the demons are fear and part of your past. Every one has done things in our past that we are not proud of but we try to do better every day and move on. The past is past and under a bridge you need to let it go and look at what good you have done recently and the people that are trying to help you and support you. Are you going to throw all that away?????

That's not to say, however, that there aren't a few who say Rot in hell, you murderer.

The blog is a glimpse not only into the self-excusing mind of a serial child molester (convicted) and now apparent murderer, but also into the excuses a culture of "therapism" has given people like Joseph Edward Duncan III.

Anyway, if you're working on a thriller about a psychopath, one has left you a weblog, but I wouldn't guarantee that it will be up forever (check out the comments, too).

No comments: