Thursday, May 19, 2005

And this is a problem because?

Parks' Sex Offenders Stance Draws Concern: "CHICAGO -- Bob Levan bought season passes to Six Flags Great America for his daughters and their best friend, but he is worried he won't be able to ride the roller coasters with them because he is a convicted sex offender."

Best quote:
"My 13-year-old girl read this on the back of the pass and said, 'Now Daddy, does this mean you can never take me to Great America?'" he said. "I am 350 percent for protecting children, and that just bugs me."

He was convicted of molesting an 8-year-old when he was 16, spent time in jail, got mental health treatment, and is apparently open about his past with his daughter. So far so good. But if he needs help with an answer for his daughter, here's one suggestion:
"Yes, dear. The actions you take even as a teen-ager, even now, can affect your whole life. I don't get to go to Great America. The child I molested is now 27 and is also still dealing with the fall-out of my behavior."

Not a bad lesson for a lot of 13-year-olds.

No comments: